Posted by: Vincent Mercogliano on Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 at 9:58 pm.
Division 2 ?
- Nanuet: There?s little question that the Golden Knights are the heavy favorite in D2. A win over Suffern proves that Nanuet isn?t only among the top D2 schools, but one of the top schools in Section 1, period. Jesse Rahimzdeh, Rich Beckery, Kevin Brundage and Dan Breit are all off to hot starts. The Golden Knights have the heavyweights to match up with larger schools. (PR: 1)
- Croton-Harmon: The Tigers make the biggest jump this week, and it?s rather difficult to argue with their success. A fifth-place finish at the North County Duals, ahead of Scarsdale, Westlake and Ossining, serves a statement that Croton is back. David Occhipinti was named most outstanding wrestler of the entire tourney, as the Tigers already have 11 wins this season after notching only one all of last year. (PR: NR)
- Westlake: The Wildcats have separated from the pack a bit, along with Croton and Edgemont, as the strongest contenders to Nanuet. They have a win over the Panthers, and will be seeing the Tigers in the near future (01/12 at Croton-Harmon). That should sort things out a bit further. (PR: 2)
- Edgemont: In my mind, this is a team that will continue to improve as the season progresses. Without a single senior on the entire team, there is a lot of inexperience for the Panthers, but also a lot of potential. I think they flashed that potential in yesterday?s 57-27 win over a tough Irvington team, in what coach George DiChiara called their ?best performance of the year.? (PR: 3)
- Pleasantville: The Panthers have been knocked around a bit so far this season, but that is largely the result of a very tough schedule, which has included meets against strong D1 programs. Lighter wrestlers such as Stephen Paternostro, Graham Williamson and Andrew Serino are improving. (PR: 5)
Other teams to watch: Irvington, Dobbs Ferry