I’m fired up today to announce to you our 2016 Post-Season Award winners!
Obviously, as usual, we’ve had our share of guys who were honored for their competitive achievements (more on that in a second) but more importantly, at our recent banquet, we were able to give out our internal team awards.
These team awards are really the ones that bear the most significance for our program – they’re based more on the process than on the outcome.
These awards give us the chance to recognize the student-athletes in our program who have gone above and beyond, demonstrating our Panther Tough values and setting an amazing example for everyone else in the program! I think you’ll see why when you read about each award. Our coaching staff agonized this year over our selections as each award really had a few kids who were deserving…not complaining though – this is a pretty awesome “problem” for us to have!
So without further ado…
- All-State, Section 1 Wrester of the Year and Section Champion – Cliffton Wang ’17
- All-Section – Kyle Aslanian ’16, George Mellor ’17, Max Worobow ’16, Cliffton Wang ’17 (All-Section Honorable Mention – Hunter Moore ’16)
- All-League – Andy Williams ’17, Nick Meglino ’19, George Mellor ’17, Kyle Aslanian ’16, Hunter More ’16, Max Worobow ’16, Cliffton Wang ’17, Alex Ravazzani ’17, Surmed Khan ’17 (All-League Honorable Mention?- Chris Eppolito ’16)
- MVP and Academic Award?- Cliffton Wang ’17
- Coaches Award – Max Worobow ’16
- Sean Ross Award – Named after wrestling Class of 2006 alumni and former coach, Sean Ross. This award is given to the Ultimate Teammate – always supportive and always doing whatever he can to help the team – qualities that Sean always exemplified as an athlete.
Kyle Aslanian ’16
- Captains’ Award – Chosen by the current captains, this award is given to the most dedicated, hardest-working freshman or sophomore during the past season.
Nick Meglino ’19
- Eric Kantor Award – Named after Edgemont’s first-ever wrestling coach and long-time program supporter, Eric Kantor. The award is given to the athlete who best exemplifies the qualities of good sportsmanship at all times throughout the season.
Zeke Cohen ’17
- George DiChiara Award – Named after Edgemont’s longest-tenured Head Coach, George DiChiara. This award is given to the athlete who best exemplifies the characteristics Coach DiChiara strived to teach on a daily basis – Class, Character and Competition.
Hunter Moore ’16
- David Rice Award – Named after wrestling Class of 2008 alumni, David Rice. Dave went from a barely .500 record his junior year to Section Champion, Sectionals Most Outstanding Wrestler and All-State his senior year. This award is given to the wrestler who has shown the most improvement since his last season.
Andy Williams ’17
- Panther Award – Given to the wrestler who best demonstrates an ability to overcome adversity with mental toughness and resilience.
Chris Eppolito ’16